The main thematic basis of the programme is to provide students the basic skills needed for planning, designing, operating and controlling power generation, and transmission and distribution systems. Broader impacts include more effective and reliable use of power systems technologies for problem-solving in enabling access to energy and energy services within the African region in various sectors such as Agriculture, Health, Energy, and Education.
The programme has the following educational aims:
- To apply knowledge of advanced principles to the analysis of electrical and computer engineering problems.
- To apply the appropriate industry practices, emerging technologies, state-of-the-art design techniques, software tools, and research methods of solving electrical systems problems.
- To expose students to a wide range of testbeds available for projects, such as power system control using SCADA, network analysis using advanced computer tools.
- To develop a broad technical understanding of the power systems technologies and their application for development & business in a real-world perspective;
- To develop communication, interpersonal, and team-building skills.